Friday, January 17, 2014

Food Share Friday: Michele's Delight

I'm back, yet again, with another goodie from my Grandpa's Recipe book. This one has been tested by all four of my kids and they all approve. I had to cut them off, or they would've eaten the whole pan!

Just like all of the other recipes, you can find this one in his self published cookbook titled; "Natural Foods Sampler: Whole Food Goodness for You!" One thing I love most about this cookbook is that my Grandpa wrote a little poem to go along with each recipe. It gives a little sense of who he was and brings a smile to my face each time I read it. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Michele's Delight
"Along the way
One sunny day
Good luck gave me a nudge.
Faring quite well
I met Michele
And made this luscious fudge!"

Ingredients:
1/3 cup Carob
1/3 cup warm water
1/3 cup honey
1/4 tsp liquid lecithin
3/4 cup non-fat dry milk
1 tsp pure vanilla
3 TBS "Better Butter"
1/2 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup rolled oats, toasted*
1/2 cup dates, cut up
1.2 cup chopped nuts

1. In a two or three quart saucepan combine carob, water, butter, peanut butter, lecithin, and honey, over low heat, stirring until smooth and well blended.

2. Remove from heat and stir in powdered milk and vanilla.

3. Add oats, dates, and nuts. Mix thoroughly.

4. Drop by 1 1/2 tsp** on wax paper to set. Remove and store in refrigerator.

Yield: 50-60 tidbits.

Special Note: * Toast oats in baking pan in 300 degree oven until golden, Stir occasionally.
                     ** I used a TBS sized cookie scoop and yielded 25 cookies.


Carb counts: Whole batch = 282 grams
                    25 TBS = 11.28 per cookie
                    50-60 tidbits = 5.64 - 4.7 grams per tidbit.


I have copies of this cookbook available by request. I just ask that you cover the cost of printing and shipping. If you are interested, e-mail me at peaceoftheprairies@gmail.com

No comments: