Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Working towards loving me!


On January 1st, of every year, thousands of people make their "New Year's Resolutions." I've done it, my husband has done it. In fact, I don't think I know one person who has never made a resolution for the new year. I believe they can be a great way to get a fresh start on life. They can also be something that we hold over our heads and guilt ourselves about.

I'd love for you all NOT to do that this year. Let's start the new year off by saying "No" to guilt. Go ahead, say it. "I will not think poorly of myself for falling short of what I think is my best." Instead, we need to love ourselves, unconditionally. If my Father in Heaven can love me unconditionally, why can't I at least give myself that gift also?

Well, I can, and I will! Starting today, I will love myself, just as I am. I will accept my shortcomings for what they are and move forward. I will strive to be a better person, but not get caught up in who I'm not. I will be me and I will LOVE it.

This year, I will not make a goal to loose a certain amount of weight, though I do have a bit to loose. I will not make a goal to look a certain way, or act a certain way. My goal, or resolution, this year is to love myself unconditionally.

I struggle with my body image, as I'm sure most of you have at one point in time, or another. It's hard to see myself as anything but a fat slob. Well, I'm not either. I'm not fat, nor am I a slob. I am me. Just as He created me to be. I may swear too much, weigh too much, and not "look" like a perfect Christian "should" at times. Don't even get me started on that last one. You see, 2013 had a very dark spot in it for me and it all centered around not being "Christian enough" for a certain group of people. I went through a lot of pain as a result of things these other "Christians" did and said. It was not fun, but it has made me a stronger person. They did not break my spirit!

Back to what I was saying before I took a left turn there. (Sorry) My ultimate goal is to learn to love and accept myself just as I am. I want to do it for me, but also for my kids. I don't want my kids to learn to have low self worth from me. Oh no! I want them to grow up to be confidant and love who the Creator made them to be. In order for me to teach them that, I have to be it. I will. I have already been praying about it and working on changing my thought process.

Instead of trying on clothes and seeing exactly what is wrong with it, I will first look for the positives in each article of clothing. I will not look at the size, but how I FEEL in it. I am also going to cook healthier foods. Not that I don't already, but I always strive for more.

Wish me luck, and if you are the praying type, prayers are much appreciated. I look forward to traveling this year with you all. Keep watching my blog for updates and a special series coming on Friday!

No comments: