Friday, February 15, 2013

40 Days to a Stronger Marriage - Day 3 & 4

Hello again and welcome back. Today, I am going to give the challenge for both day 3 and day 4. They go together quite well, so it's fitting that they land on a Friday.

Day3
Today, I want you to get a piece of paper and a pen. Take some time to write out 10 things you love and appreciate about your husband. Once you are done, take some time to share with your husband, some or all of the items on your list. You can share them all at once, or one here and there. The point is for you to be intentional about the reasons you love your husband. 

It's easy for this to get lost in the mix of daily life. We have many things that can distract us. We can't let any of this cloud our marriage. Be intentional! 

Day 4
This day, like day 3, you will be making a list. However, today it will be a list of things you feel your husband can improve upon. Things you don't like about him. 

I know, this seems counter-productive to focus on the negative. Aren't we trying to create a stronger marriage? Yes, we are. I feel this is an important step. 

We are all human and have likes and dislikes. It's fine to acknowledge them. It's not fine to dwell on them. That is why, when you are done writing this list, you are going to pray. Pray that God helps you to focus on only those things that you love and appreciate about hour husband. I am not saying that we have to be passive. I am just saying that we have to choose whether something is worth bringing to his attention or not. I am talking about little things, like snoring or leaving the towel on the floor. Not big things like verbal or physical abuse.

After you have prayed over this list and your heart, destroy it. By destroying it, you are saying that you are going to let it go. 


I think this is a good time to mention, that I am in no way a marriage counselor, psychiatrist, therapist, or anything of the sort. I am simply a married woman. Nothing more. I am just sharing some thoughts and trying to strengthen my marriage. If you are having real issues within your marriage, I highly encourage you to seek help elsewhere, I can not offer it here. The only help I can offer is prayer.

2 comments:

Erika ~ Prey Species @ www.preyspecies.com said...

Just checking in with my update for day 3 :) I used my blog for day 3 of the challenge - if you have time feel free to take a look:
http://preyspecies.com/this-year-lent-will-be-a-little-different-a-tribute-to-marriage/
It was so much fun to look through the old photos and remember all the reasons I fell in love with him to begin with. Obviously, I won't be posting day 4 as that's more private. See you Monday! and have a great weekend :)

Elizabeth said...

I am really enjoying following on this journey with you!