Wednesday, February 27, 2013

40 Days to a Stronger Marriage ~ Days 11-13

Today, I will post a challenge to make up for the last three days. I am so sorry, again. I had to take a rest day yesterday. I was getting stretched too thin and needed to just stay away from the computer. I spent the day with my kids and husband(after he was off work). It was nice and I feel refreshed and connected again.

I want to talk a little bit about the "Honeymoon" period. We hear this phrase thrown around a lot, but what does it really mean? Wikipedia has this to say about the "honeymoon;"

"Originally "honeymoon" simply described the period just after the wedding when things are at their sweetest; it is assumed to wane in a month. This is the period when newly wed couples take a break to share some private and intimate moments that helps establish love in relationship. This privacy in turn is believed to ease the comfort zone towards physical relationship, which is one of the primary means of bonding during the initial days of marriage. The earliest term for this in English was hony moone, which was recorded as early as 1546."

I have a question; "Why does this honeymoon phase need to end so quickly?" 
I understand that there are other things that happen in life that take our attention, kids, work, bills, etc. I am a firm believer that, once we have kids, they need to take a top seat in our life. That is not to say that they take over that top seat, but they occupy that space along with our husband. As long as BOTH parents are doing this, it will work. We only have our children for a small time of our life. We have been charged with training them in the way they should go. That is not to be taken lightly. 

That being said, we can't loose sight of our husband. He will be with us for a lifetime. That is a relationship that takes time and attention. How in the world do I do it? Take little moments in every day life. You can be romantic when you are up for the thousandth time, in the middle of the night, with the baby. You are tired, but share that moment with your husband and child. Some of my fondest memories of each of my children is when they were babies. G.I. Joe and I were (still are) exhausted, up with a teething baby or something else. We shared in some of those moments. Showed compassion for one another and let the other go to bed. Sacrificed our sleep also, to keep the other company. Let the one who was up with the baby sleep in, without question, the next morning. 

You have to CREATE the honeymoon. It isn't something that just happens. If you sit around waiting for it to just happen, you are going to get into trouble! This is mainly about attitude and it builds upon some of the other challenges we've shared. That wet towel on the floor, does it need to be a fight? Could we make a game of it to have a little fun? Take out your old pictures of when you were dating, or were first married. Remember WHY you fell in love with your husband.
Day 11-13
Create your LIFETIME honeymoon. Not everyday will be rainbows and sunshine. Make the stormy days some of  your best.

1 comment:

Erika ~ Prey Species @ www.preyspecies.com said...

I love this one :) and am actually kind of thrilled to have a 3 in 1 post for these days so I can keep up and continue to follow along! I'm really glad you got to spend some quality time with the family :) Saying some extra prayers today that you feel rested and at peace!