Monday, June 16, 2008

Obedience

Why is it that we, as parents, so often want, even demand, obedience from our children? We think we can make them obey us by fear, or bribery. I know the Bible says, "Thou shall obey thy mother and father.", but doesn't that tell us that God has a hand in that too? I know I didn't obey my parents all the time and I came out alright.

I've fallen into this way of thinking lately and I want to stop. It's not helping anyone in this house at all. Why do I feel this way? I am afraid that my kids will grow up to be law breakers and in jail. I don't want others to look at me and think, "that woman can't control her kids".

What is control anyway? Is is a quitet, "obedient" child that can't express themselves? Or is it a child that's allowed to express ALL emotions no matter where they are and obey their parents out of love instead of fear.

Anyway, I am striving to get rid of these thoughts. Number one, I don't live in fear. I refuse to do it. Number two, I'd much rather have a great relationship with my child than impress the nosey old lady next door.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm struggling with this right now so your post really resonates with me. I seem to fly off the handle so much lately and really didn't put my finger on the reason until I read your post. Praying with you. :)

Unknown said...

I'm so glad I could help.