Thursday, February 21, 2013

40 Days to a Stronger Marriage - Day 8

Good morning to you all! I am so happy to be doing this blog series. It has really changed how I behave in my marriage. I have always tried to create a strong marriage, but taking this journey for Lent has really brought it to the next level. I find myself really being intentional about my marriage. We aren't just floating through life. I LOVE it!

How are things going for you? Any special prayer requests? You can post them in the comments section. If they are too sensitive to share, you can just post that you would like some prayer. God knows the details.

Today's challenge is a great one! It's all about looking at three ways you differ from your husband, and how they complete you. The second part is the most important, in my opinion. I believe that God designed us for our mate. I, like most other American girls, had boyfriends growing up and as a young adult. None of them can hold a candle to my husband. I am still surprised how well we fit together sometimes. Even something as simple as holding hands, we just click. (Yes, I still hold my husbands hand like we are teenagers.) Where I fall short, he holds me up. Where he falls short, I hold him up. This is so important.

So often, we see our differences as obstacles. We hear of so many celebrities citing "irreconcilable differences" as their reason for divorce. I am not here to say that you are wrong if you are divorced. That is not for me to judge.

"Do not judge, so that you won't be judged. For with the judgment you use, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye but don't notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck our of your eye,' and look, there's a log in your eye? Hypocrites! First take the log out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye." ~Matthew 7:1-5 (HCSB)

That being said, I think we can all agree that divorce is not ideal, though sometimes it is just what needs to happen.

I believe that some of the best marriages have had "irreconcilable differences." They have just chosen not to let it ruin their marriage. G.I. Joe and I don't agree on everything, and we can have some pretty heated discussions. However, what is most important is that we are intentional about coming back together in spite of our differences.

Day 8
Today, I want you to make a list of 3 ways you are different from your husband. Once you have written them down, write down how they complete you. Then, I want you to share this with your husband. You may be surprised at how much this means to both of you.

No comments: